SiteApps

Friday, October 9, 2009

Mountain And The Sea

It's Friday. Yay.

Today is Leif Erikson Day, a day dedicated to that crazy Viking guy who sailed over from Norway to America. I'd like to think he was slightly impressed with what he saw, though I do believe he landed in Newfoundland...I'm thinking he was like "Hmm...This looks a hell of a lot like Europe."

I even wrote a little ditty about his good old dad, Erik the Red. I want a cool name like that. Maybe Lashawn the Loud. Or Lashawn the Pasty. Something that would strike fear into the hearts of my fellow man. But anyway, the song goes a bit like this:

Erik the Red
Erik the Red

Dum dum dum

Sailing to Greenland in a Viking boat
In a Viking boat

Dum dum dum

Drinking mead
Drinking mead in a Viking boat

Dum dum dum

Erik the Red
Drinking mead in a Viking boat
With his kid

Dum dum dum

Leif Erikson
Was Erik's son

Dum dum dum

He sailed to America in a Viking boat
In a Viking boat

Dum dum dum

He made it to Canada
And he built a Viking settlement

Dum dum dum

Erik the Red
Didn't go to America

Dum dum dum

He stayed in Greenland instead
And by the time Leif got home
His ginger dad was dead

Dum dum dum


That is songwriting at its best, my friends. Not only is it a catchy tune, it is educational. Very educational. It makes Viking history fun. It also helps to kill time in a 10 hour workday.

Tonight is going to be a night rife with excitement. Nicky and I are going to Tricia's to paint pumpkins. Nicky is psyched. I'll post a picture of his pumpkin in my next entry.

And the whole apartment thing...I have decided to use that old adage, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I'm just going to suck it up until I get my leftover grant money, and then after that I'm moving. I was told by a friend that there's like 2 or 3 apartments for rent, so I'm not worried. Every time I call the number on the apartment building, I get the dude's voicemail. I'm thinking the rent shouldn't be more than $600. I hope.

And I'm debating whether I should get the H1N1 vaccine for Nicky and myself. The side effects don't sound too bad, nothing unlike the regular flu shot...I'm thinking maybe we will, especially with the loopy parents in Head Start.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just read some of your blog, cool.

    I just paid some bills, got some groceries, and was about to fold laundry before I learn a couple new songs on my guitar, when I thought I might have a drink. I figured I'd have whatever you're supposed to drink on Leif Erikson Day. (btw, I drove along The Leif Ericson [yeah, the sign had a c] Memorial Highway in Michigan today) Apparently there isn't an LED drink. But my keywords, "vodka drink leif erikson" led me to you, dum dum dum :) Sorry, I do have a Powerade in the fridge, but I'm not going to drink it with vodka. Have a good weekend,

    -Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Girl... Interesting song!! Ummm Ive never heard of Leif day before, Im so outta the loop and I dont think they celebrate that over here in Africa!!

    Hope pumpkin painting was fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe love the song. You should record it and put it up for us all to hear.

    ReplyDelete

I'm a shallow person, so I love to hear what you have to say about me...Lavish me with praise, or rip me up and make me want to cry.